What to do in case of getting involved in a motor vehicle accident?
Being involved in a motor vehicle accident could be nerve breaking for any body. In this article you will learn about what to do in case of getting involved into an auto accident.
- Move to a safer place. If you see yourself involved in a car crash, make sure you move your vehicle to a safer place away from traffic to avoid further crashes. Sometimes we do not realize it, but staying in the same place where the crashed happened could make things worse.
- If your vehicle is not drivable, then make sure you move away from traffic and set up an emergency signal to let the upcoming traffic know that they need to slow down.
- Never leave the scene of the accident. Nothing screams more Im guilty than leaving the scene of the accident. Even if you know you are not at fault, driving away from the accident will get you into trouble. Stay, wait for the police and get the accident report done.
- Exchange information with all parties. Even though you will have the information from all parties involved on the police report, it is always a good idea to get the names and phone numbers of all drivers.
- Take pictures of all damages and document the accident.
- Take the accident report to your insurance representative. Your insurance agent will know exactly what to do in order to file a claim or NOT. Not 100% of the time will be feasible for you to open a claim through your insurance but speaking to your agent will help you decide what is best for you.
- Know what your insurance covers. Always know before hand the coverage you can count on. Make sure you know what your policy will cover and will not cover in case of an accident.
If you ever see yourself involved in a car crash keep calm and stay put. Wait for the authorities and fill out the police report. The police report will help you open up a claim with your insurance company.